Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Holistic Curriculum


When trying to figure out what I wanted to discuss for my first blog, I knew I wanted to write about something I didn’t have much knowledge on, but that peaked a certain interest in how I’m interested in teaching my future classrooms.  For me, personally the traditional model is what I experienced and because I was successful at learning within this model I could see how some people could say it is an effective method of teaching.  Even now, I know that it works for me but because of what we have been learning within our education courses and how a more constructivist approach is idealistically best for all students, it has made me question where I could be today.  Would my strengths/weaknesses still be the same or would I be more creative?  
One type of constructivist approach, the holistic curriculum and its focus on allowing the child to be engaged in their learning through their mind, heart, body, and spirit (Drake, Reid, & Kolohon, 2014) is something that I had never known could be possible, but that really sparks an interest as to what I am looking to achieve within my classroom.  An example of this holistic curriculum are the Waldorf schools.  When children are able to relate what they are learning to their own experience, it allows them to become alive, and what they learn becomes their own (Barnes, 1991). Waldorf schools are designed to foster this kind of learning, and storytelling is a key method for teaching (Drake, Reid, & Kolohon, 2014).  I think storytelling is so important in students' learning because it can relate to the importance of personal narratives and knowing your lived experiences are what shape your worldview (Clandinin, 2006).  If students are able to share their stories in their learning at a young age, it can lead to not only their own personal development but brings out different perspectives from their peers. 
   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlHnixpl5mQ  
References
Barnes, H. (1991). Learning that grows with the learner: An introduction to Waldorf education.     Educational  Leadership49(2), 52-54.
Clandinin, D. J. (Ed.). (2006). Handbook of narrative inquiry: Mapping a methodology. Sage Publications.
Drake, S. M., Reid, J. L., & Kolohon, W. (2014). Interweaving curriculum and classroom assessment:    Engaging the 21st-century learner. Don Mills, Ontario: Oxford University Press.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading through this blog Julie, the balance between personal life stories as well as course content was impeccable. For future blogs however, I would suggest some structural changes; instead of having the bulk of your words in your paragraph, try breaking it up with subheadings, pictures, quotes etc... great blog and thanks for the insight

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie I think your blog incorporated a good balance of personal experiences and reliable information. You did a great job backing up your information with sources as well. The only constructive point that I can make is to possibly make your sentence a little more concise; I found some of them to be a bit wordy! I completely agree with the statement about holistic education that states that education needs to incorporate their mind, heart, body and spirit. Teaching angles other than cognitive-based ones will ultimately create a well-rounded student and improve the character traits of each individual. Perhaps incorporating meaningful lessons about key issues such as mental health into everyday activities could be an effective manner to encouraging the holistic student. I wonder what methods are already in effect in the education system to promote holistic learning? Personally, I would focus on children having a say in the classroom and encouraging positive social and emotional cues because these are so important for the children of our future. I enjoyed reading about holistic education, and I agree that I definitely need to learn more about it for future purposes! Thanks for sharing a detailed explanation and giving an example to make the idea of holistic education more appealing and applicable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog. You had a personal tone throughout which made it interesting to read. I agree that there is not enough of an emphasis in today’s schools on a holistic approach. I believe that in the traditionalist method there is not as much of an emphasis on the social, emotional, and cognitive side of development. Throughout our education courses it has been an emphasized that we need to care for the whole child and I think it’s important you touched upon that in your blog.
    In future blogs I would recommend defining some terms more clearly for your audience. As well, I would recommend adding some more visuals. Overall. really good work Julie! Looking forward to reading more of your work.
    Alex

    ReplyDelete